Brucemore

Location

2160 Linden Dr SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
Visit Website

Contact

Phone: 319-362-7375
Fax: 319-362-9481
mail[at]brucemore[dot]org

Brucemore’s story reflects the history of Cedar Rapids and eastern Iowa unlike any other setting. The 26-acre, park-like estate invites exploration of the site’s history, gardens, grounds, and 21-room mansion. Completed in 1886, the Queen Anne mansion features nine bedrooms, eight bathrooms, and 14 fireplaces. Home to three generations of community builders, the site recalls stories of the industrialist and immigrants, philanthropists and farmers, artisans and architects during a century of innovation. Today, the site is a hub for cultural, philanthropic, and educational events and programs.

  • Caroline Sinclair, widow of pioneer industrialist T.M. Sinclair and mother of six, hired architects Josselyn and Taylor to build Brucemore for $55,000 in 1884.
  • In 1906, George Bruce Douglas, of the Quaker Oats and Douglas & Company fortunes, acquired Brucemore with his wife, Irene, and transformed the property into a country estate.
  • In 1937, their daughter, Margaret, inherited Brucemore with her husband business leader, Howard Hall. They added flair to the estate with famous guests, including Presidents Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman and their exotic pet lion, Leo.
  • In 1981, Margaret left Brucemore to the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It exists today as a historic site museum and community cultural center.

Hours:

Visit http://www.brucemore.org/visit/hours-and-admission/ for more information

Admission:

Visit http://www.brucemore.org/visit/hours-and-admission/ for more information

Open Map  

Details for this Attraction:

No upcoming events
No news items