Advanced Search

Restoration of the Brown Derby

Event Details

October 22, 2013 7:00 PM
Location: Brown Derby Event Hall
618 Sycamore Street
Waterloo, IA 50701
Contact Name: Douglas Marshall
Email: douglas.marshall53@gmail.com

Event Description

The restored Brown Derby event hall at 618 Sycamore Street is both the topic and the meeting sight for the October 22nd program of the Cedar Valley Historical Society.  Owner Jim Walsh and manager Chuck Orr are set to tell the history of the Brown Derby which closed in 1963 after a 21 year run as well as the building itself.  The building’s history dates to 1904 when built by The Elk’s Lodge as a meeting room but the organization quickly outgrew the space and moved on.  The next tenant, the Sultana Club apparently failed.  The Brown Derby opened around 1942 and it is that identity that most area residents remember.  The Brown Derby remained closed until Orr purchased it in 1994 and began restoration.  To access all possible historical preservation resources available, and complete a full restoration, Orr partnered with developer Walsh.  Restoration, including a 1940s period exterior sign, was completed in 2013.

More details about the building, the Brown Derby and their future plans will be discussed on October 22nd.  The program begins at 7:00pm.  The building has an elevator and a loading zone in front. Metered street parking is free at night.

Program admission is $3.00 for adults and $2.00 for children.  Grout Museum members are admitted free, as are members of the Cedar Valley Historical Society.

Persons interested in becoming a member and learning about upcoming programs should e-mail Douglas Marshall at douglas.marshall53@gmail.com.